Saturday, August 25, 2018

MM2: Being There, Giving Back

The alarm buzzed. 5 AM. Ugh. Why am I doing this my body yelled at me, but my mind countered, just get up.

Before I ran the Many on the Genny I told my friend Randy Powell I was available to do a long run with him today, just twelve days after my second ever ultramarathon. Granted my day was going to be easier than his: I was only going a half-marathon, maybe with some bonus miles. He was doing a full loop at Oil Creek State Park, as a lead up to the Oil Creek 50k in October.

I had a vital role: Randy was starting at the north end of the park and trusting me to be at the half-way point with everything he needed to resupply his food and drinks to go the second half. Not to mention he was relying on my company to go the distance as well. So as much as I didn't want to get out there, I did anyway. I was raised that if you commit to something you follow through, or let your "yes" be "yes" and your "no" be "no."

As I drove to the trailhead though, I got more and more amped to be out there. I was being relied on, trusted, depended on by another trail runner and friend. I was no longer taking from this sport, I was starting to give back. Even though this was not an organized race, I was crewing and pacing!

Even though the last six miles were not all that fun (understatement) I was still glad I was given the opportunity of being there for my friend. I was glad to give back, something that does not happen enough in our take, take, take American way, even in the trail running community.

If you haven't done it in a while, give yourself the chance of being there. Somehow, for someone. Do something that costs you, go that extra mile. In the end it will feel strangely like you are getting back just as much as you are giving back.

See each mile maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment